Did you know that the Oregon coast in the wintertime can be lots of fun? The average summer temperature in Waldport is 70 degrees, which might make you think the winters are cold. Not true! In December and January the average high is 50 degrees, which feels practically balmy to those of us who are accustomed to Idaho or Utah in the wintertime. It’s a great time to be at the beach!
One thing you do need to be ready for, however, is rain. Waldport gets 75 inches of rain per year, most between November and March. But Waldport can still be an amazing winter destination. Even on rainy day, there’s usually a break sometime during the day– a perfect chance for a quick run to the beach.
But what do you do on the days when the rain won’t seem to let up? Here are 10 things to keep you and your family busy on a rainy day.
- Check out the aquariums in Newport! The Oregon Coast Aquarium can be spendy for a large group, and some of the exhibits are outdoors. But probably 2/3 of the exhibits are indoors, and they’re amazing! A more affordable place to visit is the Hatfield Marine Science Center. ALL its exhibits are indoors, there are lots of hand-on activities, the admission fee is by donation only, which means you can pay whatever you can afford to get in. A great budget option!
- Visit the Newport Aquatic Center. This heated indoor pool is 25 yards and eight lanes, with a one meter diving board, an activity pool with lazy river, and a spa. What a fabulous way to let kids burn off energy on a rainy day, and is only a 25 minute drive from the Owlhaven. A 10-pass card for non-residents is just $35, and can be used once for a group of 10, or several times for smaller groups. I recommend a stop at the Chowder Bowl for lunch or dinner after your swim! Yum!
- If being cozy and at home is more your style, don’t forget all the activities right here at the Owlhaven. If tea and a good book by the fire sounds good to you, you’re in luck! Our home has a cozy gas fireplace, a whole drawer full of tea and a selection of reading materials for a variety of ages. Or BYOB.
- If games are more your style, look no further than our living room shelves. Here are some of the games you’re likely to find There. Our favorites? Dutch Blitz, Phase Ten, and Apples to Apples are all great choices for large groups and wide age ranges.
- Any puzzle fanatics out there? We love puzzles too, and our selection is awlways changing. But on any given week, you are sure to find at least half a dozen puzzles, including several for little children.
- Gamers will be happy to know there’s a Playstation 3 here, complete with several controllers and half a dozen kid and teen friendly games, including Minecraft, Lego LOTR, Little Big Planet, and Portal 2.
- If movies are your thing, we’ve got a DVD player in the downstairs family room with several dozen movies. If none of those strike your fancy, there’s always Netflix and cable TV. Bring your own popcorn for added movie time fun!
- Explore downtown Waldport! Waldport isn’t a big town, but it boasts a candy store, a bookstore, a fabric store, several thrift stores, a variety of restaurants, a drug store, and a grocery store. Coming soon: Dollar General.
- Stop by Ray’s Grocery Store for cookie-baking ingredients, then head back to the Owlhaven for a cookie-baking extravaganza. A sure winner with all ages: there’s nothing better than baking with grandma! Except maybe a hot chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven paired with a cup of tea by the fireplace.
- Go to the beach anyway. Put on a rain jacket and enjoy the rain! Then when you’re good and wet, head back to the Owlhaven and warm up in the hot tub!