Owlhaven: Ocean-view Family Home on the Oregon Coast
Owlhaven, located less than a mile from the beautiful Pacific Ocean, is the custom-designed beach home we’ve been dreaming of since our kids (all 10 of them!) were little.
Find sunny and stylish living spaces with expansive ocean views. A deck that’s part coastal escape, part wooded hideaway. And bedrooms that let everyone find space to relax.
Kick off your flip-flops in custom seating in the main living area while watching the waves roll in from picture windows. Flip on the gas fireplace for cozy evenings.
In the downstairs family room, driftwood walls with portholes and buccaneer bunks create an imagination playground for your little pirates, complete with 49” flat-screen.
DINING & KITCHEN
We know a well-equipped kitchen is a family essential. That’s why you’ll find a spacious bar, large appliances for easy feasts and clean-up, and extras like a wine fridge and a second dishwasher. We also lowered a section of our counter to accommodate children or guests in wheelchairs.
There’s no bumping elbows in our sunny dining room. Our 9-foot custom walnut table has room for 10, and a long window bar seating 6 more is the perfect spot to sip a nightcap with an ocean view.
BED & BATH
Slumber parties are encouraged here. Our family-friendly layout is configured with your good time in mind, featuring seven different sleeping spaces:
- King-size, handicap-accessible upstairs master suite with view of the Alsea Bay and Bridge from a private balcony. En suite includes dual vanities and walk-in (or wheel-in) shower. The home also features a stair chair and wheelchair ramp to eliminate stair climbing for anyone with mobility issues.
- King-size, downstairs east master suite. Enjoy an en suite with large shower and sliding door to the hot tub.
- King-size downstairs west master suite, again with its own bathroom. Large windows let in glimpses of the ocean, and a sliding door opens to the hot tub.
- Queen-size east bedroom with a comfy window seat that peeks through trees toward Alsea Bay.
- Queen-size sunny west bedroom with ocean views.
- Queen-size nook. This kid-friendly hangout is home to a TV and PlayStation.
- Pirate bunk beds. Four swashbucklers will love these individually lit beds in the family room.
- Two additional hall baths—one with a shower/tub combo, the other with a walk-in shower.
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
Nearly 400 sq. ft. of ocean-view bliss—that’s our second story deck. With forested views on one end and a wooden staircase, it’s like a treehouse, but better— hear the surf crashing from the lounge chairs when you sneak out with your morning coffee, or send the kids out here to eat lunch at the picnic table on a sunny day.
The deck has a built in baby gate which means toddlers can safely play out here while parents chat and relax.
Or send them down into the yard to play in the sandbox.
Also below in the fenced yard, a shaded patio is home to our bubbling hot tub, the ideal late night treat when the kids have drifted off. (Be sure to keep the cover latched when not in use and watch little children who are playing in the yard.) Out front, there’s plenty of parking for up to seven cars.
WELCOME TO WALDPORT
Seven miles of Oregon beaches start less than a mile from your front door. Pile everyone into the car and you’ll be a dune away from the beach in 3 minutes flat. Or skip the car, and take a leisurely 0.8 mile stroll to 7 miles of sandy beach. Conclude your afternoon with a dip in the heated community pool, accessible all summer for a small fee. And no need to pack sand toys, beach towels, high chairs, pack-n-plays, or even a stroller. All these things are supplied at the Owlhaven.
Cross the Alsea Bridge for a scenic 1.5-mile stroll into the heart of downtown. On the other side, reward yourself with a milkshake at Vickie’s Big Wheel Drive Inn, fabulous sweet potato fries from Grand Central Pizza, or a vacation treasure at Lil Joe’s General Store. If you happen to be here on Thursday or Saturday morning, you’ll want to stop at Pacific Sourdough for some of the best sourdough bread on the coast.
You’ll find everything from golf to lighthouses to museums within a half hour of your door, and the award-winning Oregon Coast Aquarium is just 20 minutes north.
We do not claim to offer a fully accessible home. However, we do have many adaptations to simplify movement for those with different physical abilities. Here’s a list of what the home contains. Please evaluate to decide if this home is workable for you. Feel free to ask questions if you need more specific details.
Main Living Areas
- Shallow wheelchair ramp connecting paved driveway to front door of home. Front threshold into the home is less than an inch higher than the front porch.
- Sidewalk along west end of home connecting front door to concrete patio at south end of home
- 3 foot wide doorways in every room of home except nook at the bottom of the stairs and exterior slider door onto the deck. Both these doors have a 32 inch opening.
- Hallways are at least 44 inches wide throughout the home.
- Staircase is 48 inches wide, allowing easy movement up the stairs for a helper carrying a wheelchair.
- Harmar stair lift (350 lb capacity) provided to easily move between two levels of home. Wheelchair has rechargeable batteries allowing multiple trips up and down the stairs in the event of a power outage. The key to the stair chair is on a hook in the laundry room and we ask that you do not allow children to use the chair.
- Lowered wheel-under portion of counter in kitchen to allow for easy participation in food prep.
- Below-counter microwave for easy access.
- Please let us know if you would like us to roll up area rugs in the master bedroom, living room, or family room before you arrive to ease wheelchair movement between spaces.
Accessible Master Suite
- 3 foot wide doorway into master bedroom
- 4 feet wide clearance around three sides of king bed to allow for easy movement. (Chaise lounge is light and can easily be moved where you prefer it to be.)
- Lowered closet rod in closet, as well as some low shelving for easy access from a seated position.
Accessible Master Bathroom
- Out-swing 36 inch bathroom door for easy entry into the bathroom
- Wheel-under sinks in master bath with 28 inch minimum clearance for knees and sink top not higher than 33 inches.
- Mirror over left-hand sink is lowered for easy use from a seated position. Teak shower bench can also be brought into this space for someone who is not in a wheelchair but needs to sit in front of the mirror while using this space. Magnifying mirror can be tilted up or down for use at various heights.
- Separate toilet and shower area with 4 ft x 4 ft foot clear area between shower and toilet for easy turning radius. This room has an out-swing door for easy movement even when door is open.
- Zero-clearance shower threshold to allow easy wheeling into the shower
- Shower sprayer mounted on wall next to shower seat can be used at several heights while wall mounted, or removed to be used in the hand-held position.
- Sturdy teak shower seat with grab bar on wall. (Grab bar coming in April.) Seat can be moved to any place in the shower area for user’s unique preferences and needs.
- Grab bar at toilet, shower exit, and next to shower seat(coming). See photos below for description.
Are there any other things that would improve your vacation experience or add accessibility?
Please let us know by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Want an Owlhaven Vacation? Book Now
- House sleeps 16 (children age 2 and under not counted in that total)
- 6 bedrooms, including 3 king bed master suites and 3 queen bedrooms
- 5 bathrooms, including one accessible shower, three other showers, and one tub/shower combination.
- 2 “Pirate Ship” bunk beds, to sleep four
- 3 foot wide doorways and 4 foot wide staircase
- Hot tub on a covered patio
- Stair lift for easy wheelchair access
- Baby gates, toddler cots, potty seat, high chairs.
- Plastic plates, bowls, cups and cutlery
- Double washers and dryers to easily handle all the laundry your family can dish out
Tech & Toys
- TV’s in every bedroom. ChromeCast TV’s in Princess room, East Master, and Yellow Room (Chromecast app here). ‘Smart’ TV’s in west master, and nook bedroom function best with the free Vizio app (free app here)
- Playstation gaming system with an assortment of family friendly games in Nook bedroom
- Cable TV on living room and family room TV
- DVD player on family room TV, plus large collection of family friendly movies
- Wi-Fi throughout house served via high speed router
- Collection of games, books and puzzles for various ages
- Children’s toys including Lego Duplos
Want an Owlhaven Vacation? Book Now
Here’s where our home sits, just north of the Alsea Bay Bridge. You can just see the bridge on the far left in this photo. Our home sits on a hill near the intersection of the Pacific Ocean and Alsea Bay, with views of both from the various windows in the home. The beach is 0.8 miles away through the Bayshore neighborhood– a leisurely 15 minute walk or 3 minutes by car.
There’s easy beach access and lots of parking around the Bayshore Beach Club. Here’s where the pool is too. The pool open during the summer. It is wind-sheltered and heated to 87 degrees, making it pleasant for swimming even when temperatures are in the 60’s. Beach access is open year round.
Nature Centers and Museums
Oregon Coast Aquarium — 13 miles north (wheelchair accessible)
Hatfield Marine Science Center — 14 miles north (wheelchair accessible)
Pacific Maritime Heritage Center — 15 miles north (wheelchair accessible)
Yaquina Head Lighthouse –31 miles north (wheelchair accessible)
Yaquina Bay Lighthouse — 19 miles north
Heceta Head Lighthouse — 23 miles south
In addition there are dozens of hiking trails on the central Oregon coast. Click here or on the map for lots more details
Want an OwlHaven Vacation? Check our calendar now and gets yours booked while there’s still space!